Iman Owil

Armed robbers steal worshipers in Ondo, share loot in church

Suspected armed robbers at the weekend invaded some churches in Akure, the Ondo State capital, and robbed worshipers of their money and other valuables.

The men were also reported to have carted away the churches’ offerings, running into millions of naira.

The churches affected, according to a report, were located along Ondo Road and the Fanibi area of Akure.

Punch reports that the bandits also shared their loot in one of the churches before they vanished into thin air.

It was gathered that while the robbery was ongoing, some church members managed to call the control room of the Ondo State Police Command, but there was no response from the command.

A source said the robbers were armed with guns, machetes, iron rods and sticks, adding that they beat some ‘uncooperative’ worshipers.

She said, “After finishing our vigil at about 3am on Saturday, all of us were going home when some armed men met us on the road. They told us they were members of a vigilance group in the area and they asked us to go back to the church.

“They followed us to the church. On entering the church with us, they locked the door from inside. One of them brought out a pistol and asked us to lie down and face the ground. They collected everything on us, including our phones and money.

“As we lay face down, we heard them sharing the money they had stolen from other churches they had earlier robbed. From their conversation, we discovered that they must have attacked no fewer than four churches before ours.”

The victim added that the robbers fled through the windows when they learnt that policemen were on the way.

The Public Relations Officer of the state police command, Mr. Femi Joseph, confirmed the incident, adding that the command had commenced investigation.

“We have taken action. We have deployed our surveillance team in that area and very soon, we will arrest the hoodlums,” Joseph said.

[Daily Post]

IPOB alleges: Buhari plotting to try Nnamdi Kanu under Sharia Law

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) on Monday alleged of plans to try their detained leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, under Sharia Law.

It descried such plan as an inhuman act, stating that adopting such measure amounted to continuing what it described as the ongoing crime against pro-Biafra groups in Nigeria.

The group further alleged that President Muhammadu Buhari had authorized the fresh trial.

In a statement made available to journalists by the group’s media and publicity secretary, Comrade Emma Powerful, IPOB lameneted that pro-Biafra groups were going through what the people of Biafra went through during the 1967 – 1970 civil war, that led to the destruction of the lives of many people, mainly Christians.

Describing the alleged move to try Kanu and others under Sharia Law, Powerful observed that, even in the predominantly Moslem part of Northern Nigeria, nobody had been tried secretly under Sharia Law since the creation of Nigeria by the British merchants in 1914 and wondered why Kanu and other Christians in the southern part of Nigeria should be exposed to such trial.

He expressed disappointment at the silence of the United Nations and world leaders over the matter concerning the IPOB leader, despite the fact that the United Nations had in its charter, a provision for the right of indigenous people to self determination.

The IPOB spokesman said, “It was unfair for Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court, Abuja to derail from the Nigerian regular judicial process under common law, to Sharia process considered to be a religious law and not permissible in a supposed secular state like Nigeria because Nnamdi Kanu was involved.

“The world must be wary of President Muhammadu Buhari’s introduction of Sharia law in the ongoing trial against the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra through Justice Binta Nyako. It is dangerous for the law court, which is supposed to douse tension in the country to introduce religious war.

“We, Biafrans and IPOB members worldwide, have waited enough and are still waiting for justice to prevail with the ongoing trial of our leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu and others detained illegally and we have shown the whole world how peaceful, civilized and determined we are towards the restoration and independent state of Biafra.

“We have called for referendum and peaceful separation, but we have found out that it will only bring us more harm and pain because the United Nations and other world powers have failed to stop the arrest and killing of unarmed peaceful Biafra agitators.”

He added: “Are they keeping quiet until we take up arms? We don’t see the need to take up arms because it is not a must that Biafra restoration will go into war for the second time before we get our freedom.

“But if the UN and other world bodies allow us to go into war for the second time before we achieve our independence, it will be a war of revenge and bitterness.

“Therefore, all efforts must be made by UN and other people of good conscience around the globe to ensure that Nigeria does not go to another war like that of 1967 to 1970, in the interest of humanity.

“Trying our leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu and others detained illegally, under Sharia law is unacceptable to Biafrans, Christians and IPOB members worldwide. The proposed secret trial will not be allowed to hold against our leader and others.

“Justice Binta Nyako does not know what she is about to start and she should be called to order by the National Judicial Commission (NJC). Our stand is that Nnamdi Kanu should be tried in public since he was accused openly.”

[Daily Post]

Man beheads 72-year-old woman over land dispute in Ogun

The Police Public Relations Officer in Ogun State, Abimbola Oyeyemi has narrated how a man, who was arrested by men of the command, allegedly severed the head and wrists of a 72-year-old woman identified as Funmilayo Shada.

He said the suspect, Adeoye Ikugbayigbe told the police that he committed the act in Abigi, Ogun Waterside area of the state, because he had been having a running battle with the deceased 72-year-old woman over a parcel of land.

Oyeyemi, while briefing journalists on the matter in Abeokuta, said: “the arrest followed a report by the son of the deceased, one Ekundayo Shada, who complained at Abigi Divisional Headquarters that while he was on his way to the farm to meet his mother, he came across Adeoye Ikugbayigbe on the road holding a polythene bag.

“But as soon as he sighted the suspect, the suspect dropped the bag and ran into the bush. This aroused his suspicion and he quickly ran to check on his mother, but could not find her.

“He later came back to check the bag dropped by the suspect, only for him to discover his mother’s head and her wrist in the bag.

“He quickly reported the case to police and the DPO of Abigi Division, SP Komolafe Omoniyi, led detectives to the scene, combed the surrounding bushes and finally got the suspect arrested.

“On interrogation, he confessed to the commission of the crime, claiming that he has been having a running battle with the deceased over a parcel of land.

“The severed head and the remains of the deceased have been deposited in the mortuary, while the cutlass he used has also been recovered.

“The Commissioner of Police, CP Ahmed Iliyasu, has ordered that the suspect be transferred to the Homicide Section of State Criminal Investigation and Intelligent Department, SCIID, for further investigation.”

[Daily Post]

Isaac Success still thrilled by impressive Super Eagles debut

Watford striker Isaac Success, has said that his international debut for Nigeria is “a dream come true”.

The powerful frontman played for the Super Eagles last week, as they held Senegal to a 1-1 draw in an international friendly.

Although Isaac Success did not get on the scoresheet, he is confident that he has a role to play, as Nigeria seeks to qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

“It was a dream come true for me, and I thank God for being here representing my country,” Success told BBC Sport.

“The energy is there, the mindset of bringing success to Nigeria and to Africa at the World Cup is there.

“I am happy now, I am fit, I am very sharp now and looking forward to the opportunity again.

“These young boys, and I am one of them, they are really hungry to do something.

“We want to do something different, something the fans have not seen in a long time. Success is guaranteed because now they have Success in the team.”

[Daily Post]

France has the most talented players in the world – Wenger

Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger, has said that France has the most talented players in the world.

Wenger also added that it is a “nightmare” for coach Didier Deschamps to choose his squad.

France finished as runners-up at Euro 2016 and are currently top of their 2018 World Cup qualifying group. They are ranked sixth in FIFA’s World Rankings.

Wenger said: “I’m convinced, maybe because I’m French, but at the moment the most talented players in the world are in France.

“When you put yourself today in Deschamps’ place it’s a nightmare to select the first 20 best … and [then the] XI best — that is not a problem we have at the moment in Spain.

“Germany as well is still there but maybe a little bit less strong than they were in Brazil.

“The upcoming force in international football for me is France. You find top quality players in France now like you had in Brazil 20 years ago. Every corner you can find a player who can play for the national team basically.

“When you look at players like [Monaco’s Tiemoue] Bakayoko [who was called up following an injury to Pogba] and [Lyon’s Alexandre] Lacazette who are not even selected, that was not the case 10 years ago.

“That’s why I think France has an exceptional potential and maybe could take over.”

[Daily Post]

Unbelievable! Elderly man attempts suicide on Third Mainland Bridge

According to journalist, Malik Nasir, the elderly man pictured above attempted to commit suicide on Third mainland bridge yesterday.

“Yet Another Suicide Attempt At the Lagos Lagoon today. He was rescued before he could take the plunge. An Ifa Priest has said in a national daily that “the Lagoon is Angry? How do we appease the Lagoon Please. Good Morning”he wrote

[Linda Ikeji]

I’m happy my son chose Nigeria over Netherlands – Ebeuhi’s dad

Marvin, the father of Netherlands based defender Tyronne Ebuehi,  says he is happy that his son has finally committed his international future to Nigeria.

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr   named Ebuehi in the Super Eagles’ squad to face Algeria in a Russia   2018  World Cup qualifier in November last year  in Uyo, but  the 21-year-old rejected the invite on the ground  that the time was not right.

The ADO Den Haag right-back, who has a Dutch mother, was favoured to choose Netherlands ahead of Nigeria before he honoured Rohr’s call-up for the friendly games against Senegal and Burkina Faso, which has been called off.

“I must confess to you that I am glad that he has finally committed to Nigeria over the Netherlands. I am very proud as a father. The first call-up, there was a misunderstanding and things went the way they did, unfortunately,” the Nigeria Football Federation’s official website quoted  Amsterdam-based businessman Marvin as saying on Sunday.

“I apologise for that misunderstanding. I have always said that he would have to play for Nigeria at senior level, because I am proud of my country.”

He added,  “Tyronne has always been crazy about football from an early age. I put him in an academy at the age of six and I’m not surprised that he’s on the way to living his dream.”

Tyronne’s sister Tyvanne is a UK-based model and brother Trevin is a student in Holland.

“I am praying that Tyronne fulfils his ambition of playing for a big club in Europe, and also become an important player for the Super Eagles of Nigeria,” Marvin said.

Meanwhile, Ogenyi Onazi  said the Eagles’ 1-1 draw against Senegal in London on Thursday had ignited a burning desire for World Cup qualification.

“I am always delighted anytime I look at the faces of everyone in camp. The determination is real and infectious. It is a young and focused group; we all want to qualify for the World Cup 2018 and the next Africa Cup of Nations.”

[Punch]

Wild drama as UNILAG student slumps to death after night out on campus

A report has shown that serious tragedy has stuck at the Moremi Hall of the University of Lagos after a Chemistry Education student, identified simply as Tope, slumped and died at the institution’s medical centre after a night out on campus.
Sources in UNILAG said the student, who was squatting in the hostel, died shortly after returning to campus from an outing with a man.
They added that Tope could have been saved if she was promptly attended to at the centre.
One of them said, “Tope was squatting here. She went to a club and returned around midnight on Thursday. It was not long afterwards that she started gasping. We rushed her to the UNILAG Medical Centre, but they blamed the student who allowed her to squat in her room. Tope eventually died, while the other student is being threatened with eviction.’’
However, the management of the university said no student died at the centre. A statement from the school’s Deputy Registrar, Information Unit, Mr. Toyin Adebule, said Tope died before she was brought to the centre.
“I wish to state that the incident did not happen at the centre. Also, there is no report from the hall to the Dean of Students Affairs on the incident. Therefore, no student has been ejected from the hall,” the statement read in part.
[Punch]

PDP Crisis: Makarfi, Sheriff go to war again

National chairman of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has threatened to arrest old staff of the party secretariat, if they failed to return property in their possession in seven days. He also threatened legal action against those referring to the National Caretaker Committee, led by Senator Ahmed Makarfi, as a faction of the party, signalling a collapse of the truce brokered by chairman of the National Reconciliation Commission, Governor Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa State.

Sheriff, who noted that he had right as chairman of the party to employ staff, said in a statement signed, yesterday, by Deputy Chairman of the party, Dr. Cairo Ojougbo:

“We are preparing to complete state congresses where necessary and working hard towards our national convention. “We will not be distracted from our set objective to return the party to the grassroots by inconsequential issues.

“We must prevent anybody with the agenda of killing the party, especially those who were brought to the party by those who have already decamped to other parties.

“We are giving seven days to these old staff, who still have the property of our party in their possession, to return them immediately, or we will be left with no other option than to hand them over to the police.” Makarfi had in a statement by Prince Dayo Adeyeye, last week, reacted to the job vacancy issue, thus: “We wish to state unequivocally that there are no vacancies for employment at the national secretariat of our great party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

“All the staff of the party, in line with the Establishment Manual, are intact and standing strong with all the organs of the PDP in its bid to salvage the party from destroyers. “It is sad to note that Professor Wale Oladipo is ignorant on the workings of the PDP, the Establishment Manual and the position of the recent Appeal Court Judgment of February 17, 2017 which ordered the Party to revert to the Status of the Party before May 21st, 2016.

The Publication is, therefore, a ploy by Senator Sheriff and his cohorts to disengage the Establishment Staff of the PDP for acting in line with their constitutional mandate and convictions. “The vexatious publication is a cheap blackmail designed to intimidate our hardworking and highly principled staff.

It belongs to the trash bin and should be ignored.” Sheriff also said, by the pronouncement of the Court of Appeal in Port Harcourt, the Makarfi group was no longer in existence. He noted that an appeal was not a stay of execution, insisting that the Makarfi group was illegal. “Makarfi should behave himself, he should not interfere in our business, because we are not interested in his private business.

Any further careless statement from him will force us to reconsider our earlier peace agreement. “We have already employed staff who are running the bureaucracy efficiently.

If Makarfi so desires, he should keep the old staff, just as he is doing now. We have had enough and enough is enough of this,” he said.

Meanwhile, chairman of the caretaker committee of the party, Ahmed Makarfi, said, yesterday, that the latest threat by Ali Modu Sheriff to sue anybody who recognises the committee has shown that Sheriff and his group were not reliable.

In a statement by the spokesman of the committee, Dayo Adeyeye, Makarfi said: “Sheriff and his co travelers, especially Cairo Ojuogbo, were never men with whom one can reach any agreement. But we tagged along to avoid being accused of unnecessary intransigence.”

‘’Since the leopard cannot change its spot, it is now very clear that no agreement or political solution can be reached with these bunch of people with huge integrity deficit.

“Cairo is a nonentity, an impostor and a rabble rouser in a non existent National Working Committee (NWC). Sheriff has no men to constitute an NWC with the required constitutional quorum. He therefore has to surround himself with the likes of Cairo who was neither elected or appointed to the Position.

‘’Cairo’s shameless public parade of himself as Deputy National Chairman is the worst case of impunity in the history of our great Party. His threat against our hard working staff should therefore be ignored and treated with utmost contempt coming from a lawless impostor.

“ For the education of Sheriff and his cohorts, our Appeal at the Supreme Court is already on. To that extent, the position and status of the National Caretaker Committee remains completely unaltered. Since they cannot comprehend even very simple matters, we will use a simple analogy.

‘’If a governor loses at the election petitions tribunal and at the Court of Appeal, does he ceases to be a governor even when his appeal is pending before the Supreme Court? And would the civil servants then refuse to serve him? The position of the law is that he would remain the governor and all government employees will be expected to continue to service his government until otherwise determined by the Supreme Court. “

In the light of the above, we urge our loyal Party members and staff to ignore this latest rantings of the APC lackeys. We went out of our way few days ago to reach accommodation with them even when some of our top leaders had serious misgivings about any type of talk with them given their unreliability. We are happy that we have shown our goodwill and they too have demonstrated their bad faith” he said.

He added that the committee “tried strenuously to reach Gov Dickson to report this infraction and deliberate violation of the truce agreement by the Sheriff Group but we were not able to get through to him”.

[Nigerian Eye]

Send this to friend